so you borrow the old city bike from the owner of the apartment that you are renting. you ride around town with your buddy who is visiting for a couple of days. bam! a flat tire. now you have this bike with a flat that is not yours and needs a fresh tube or at least a patch and some air. it's sunday afternoon and most of the bike shops are closed. monday you're at a conference all day and won't get out til after 6pm at least, when all of the shops are closed again. the repair could be simple, pop off the tire and replace the tube. a matter of minutes....
|cykelkarta of Malmo. a map of (free public) bike pumps, bike lanes, and everything else relevant to bicycles in Malmo. these maps are handed out like candy in the city, online for download or viewing, posted all over the place as physical maps, and at major bike intersections, etc|
- all bike paths and bike lanes in the city (differentiated so you can choose one or the other if you prefer - paths separate from the traffic or lanes next to the traffic)
- "cycle tracks" - dedicated bike highways to get into and out of the city center, especially for commuting and long distance connections
- public water closets to change or "freshen up"
- bathing locations (showers)
- free public air pumps to fill the tires
- bridges and tunnels (for bikes)
- a radius that tells you how far you are from the city center in minutes of bicycle travel
|guy filling his tires at a free public bike pump station|
|snapped a couple of pics while waiting at a free public air pump station|
|Cambridge/ Boston is installing free publicly accessible bike repair stations for cyclists to make small to medium repairs such as a changing a flat tire, adjusting saddle height, and other repairs that can't easily be done in your office but could be done by many commuter/ average cyclists if they have access to the proper tools|
|tools available on the bike repair station next to my office in Kendall Square include tire levers, allen wrenches, screwdrivers, and of course (for the fixie crowd) a 14/15 mm open ended wrench|
stay tuned for the exciting conclusion of the flat tire experience in "Part Two" tomorrow.
will I get out of the conference in time to get to the open hours for the shop?
will I be able to fix the flat?
will I meet cool and exciting people doing interesting things?
the answers to these questions and more... in tomorrow's post: Part Two!